Being one of the initiatives under the Digital India flagship by the Government of India, DigiLocker is one of the most sought for online service launched in February 2015. Through this article, we would provide all the information you need to know about the DigiLocker.
What is DigiLocker?
DigiLocker is one of the key initiatives under the Indian Government’s flagship program, Digital India, with an aim of transforming India into a digitally empowered nation. It is simply a private secure space in a government owned public cloud where an individual can keep safe his documents, files or certificates to be able to download or share them online with various stakeholder as and when required.
Vision behind DigiLocker:
Giving a boost to the idea of e-governance, with papeless governance being one of its postulates, DigiLocker is a private cloud storage helful in issuance & verification of certificates & documents digitally.
This Aadhar (UID) linked storage space will help the individuals to store their documents online and verify them online using the eSign facility.
Benefits of the DigiLocker:
- Registered individuals can store and then access their digital documents anytime, anywhere and share them online.
- The service is free, safe, secure & user-friendly.
- Best initiative to make governance paper-free, saving environment.
- Documents issues by government departments can be directly pushed by the department into your DigiLocker, hence reducing administrative overheads.
- Self-uploaded documents can be authenticated by eSign (digital way of self-attestation).
- What all is needed to create a DigiLocker account?
- To Sign up for a DigiLocker account, all you need is a Laptop/PC or a smartphone with an internet connection alongwith a functional mobile number.
Steps to create a DigiLocker account:
- Visit the Sign Up page on official DigiLocker website.
- Enter your functional Mobile Number in the text box on the right side of the screen & Click ‘Continue’ button.
- You will received an SMS with an OTP (One Time Password) on your mobile number.
- Enter the OTP received on your mobile number in the second text box and click ‘Verify’ button.
- Once the OTP is verified, you are prompted to set your ‘Username’ & ‘Password’ for the first time. Password should be secure (8-30 characters long with at least one alphabet, one number & one special character).
- You will then be prompted to enter your Aadhar details (If you wish to add) else you can click on ‘Skip entering Aadhar details and continue’.
- While your new DigiLocker is getting configured, you will receive a mesage saying “Do not ‘refresh’ or press ‘Back button’ during the process”. After waiting for a few minutes, Refresh the page.
- You will be taken to the Login page: enter your login credentials & you are done.
- You will now receive a congratulatory note saying, “Congratulations, your DigiLocker account was successfully created. You can start using it now.”
- Verify your email by entering the email id in the Text box and clicking the ‘Verify’ button.
- You will receive a verification email in your mailbox. Click on the “Click Here to Verify” hyperlink.
- You will now be redirected to the DigiLocker website. Sign in & Start uploading your documents, files & certificates into your safe, secure & private cloud space.
Read About: National Career Service Scheme of the Government of India
We hope the article was useful. DigiLocker is a public service platform. Its your Right to have a DigiLocker account for yourself & your friends. Click on Share buttons below to spread the word & help your friends get awareness regarding the DigiLocker initiative.